Sunday, September 20, 2009

Quick Thoughts

I haven't had time to review the film yet as I am way into my fantasy team and it was my sister's birthday. Tammy you are getting really old. Anyway moving on to football related matters I would again like to complement the Hawkeye Coaches on an outstanding gameplan. Big week ahead as we head into Happy Valley. College Gameday will be in town- don't get arrested or beat up Gabe.

Arizona's secondary was outstanding. I don't think we will see a faster or more aggressive set of corners or safeties the rest of the season. However they were sitting on a lot of our short routes and I think the middle of the field was exploitable all day. I will get to that in the later post. I think Wade, Nelson, and Golden all have futures on Sundays if they can avoid injuries.

Iowa's D-line is better than last seasons' unit. I love Mitch King and Matt Kroul ( in fact Kroul helped me get the ideas to launch this site) but Ballard moving inside and getting Binns on the field has made that unit as fast as any Dline Iowa has ever fielded. Plus we have depth and are actually using it. Clayborn could be the team MVP. We could return this entire unit next season. Arizona got all of their rushing yards on basically 3 plays. We dominated their line in both facets of the game.

Tyler Sash could be an All-American candidate if he didn't play for Iowa. This is a tough year when you have Taylor Mays at USC and Eric Berry at Tennesse already holding those spots. He isn't just "The Vulture" (thanks BHGP) but he is very physical and understands his role on the defense very well for a second year starter. He hasn't gone completely unnoticed see http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Scouts-notebook-defensive-review-5954.html

Iowa should be ranked.We are technically ranked 31 in the latest AP poll. I really shouldn't care but I do. Houston, Nebraska (the n is for nowledge), Washington, Missouri, and Gene Chizik's Auburn squad's are more highly regarded than Iowa's. Seriously I said Washington and Gene Chizik. Beating this year's USC will come to mean less than usual as I suspect even they can't reload that well. But Washington beat them because they stole half of their coaching staff and USC played a first time starting qb who was tutored by UW's head coach. Seriously this poll is done by sportswriters. Did they understand that we beat UNI? I understand we should have won that game more handily but they are the people who put a team in the top 20 based off of one game who will finish with a less than .500 record, and lose several games by two to three TDs. Houston beat everybody's pre-season darlings Okie State (their men- T. Boone Pickens' paid for 'em) but I wouldn't be suprised to see them finish 4-4 in the Big 12. And Auburn. The same people that killed Auburn for the hire now have that team ranked on the cusp of the top 25. You suck at your jobs. You are making the Coaches poll credible and that is seriously stupid. I think if I asked Ferentz he might let me fill it out. All right, that is out of my system, if we TCB in Happy Valley they can't keep us out. WE ARE COMINGGGG TO PENN STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder who had the job of changing JoPa's diaper after my favorite commercial of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment